Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Psalm 31, complete

In you, O Lord, I take refuge;
   let me never be put to shame.
In your justice deliver me,
   incline your ear to me; make haste to rescue me!

Be my rock of refuge,
   a stronghold to give me safety.
You are my rock and my fortress;
   for your name's sake lead and guide me.

Free me from the net they have set for me,
   for you are my refuge.
Into your hands I commend my spirit;
   you will redeem me, Lord, faithful God.

You hate those who serve worthless idols,
  but I trust in the Lord.
I will rejoice and be glad in your love,
   once you have seen my misery, observed my distress.

You will not abandon me into enemy hands,
   but will set my feet in a free and open space.

Have mercy on me, O Lord,
   for I am in distress.
Tears have wasted my eyes,
   my throat and my heart.

For my life is spent with sorrow
   and my years with sighs.
Affliction has broken down my strength
   and my bones waste away.

In the face of all my foes
  I am a reproach,
an object of scorn to my neighbors
   and of fear to my friends.

Those who see me in the street
   run far away from me.
I am forgotten, out of mind like the dead;
   I am like a shattered dish.

I have heard the slander of the crowd,
   fear is all around me,
as they plot against me,
  as they plan to take my life.  

But I trust in you, Lord;
   I say, "You are my God."
My times are in you hands;
   rescue me from my enemies,
   from the hands of my pursuers.

Let your face shine on your servant;
   save me in your kindness.
Do not let me be put to shame,
    for I have called to you, Lord.

Put the wicked to shame;
   reduce them to silence in Sheol.
Strike dumb their lying lips,
   proud lips that attack the just
   in contempt and scorn.

How great is your goodness, O Lord,
   which you have in store for those who fear you,
And which, toward those who take refuge in you,
   you show in the sight of the children of men.

You hide them in the shelter of your presence,
   safe from scheming enemies.
You keep them in your abode,
   safe from plotting tongues.

Blessed be the Lord,
   who has shown me wondrous love,
   and been for me a city most secure.

Once I said in my anguish,
   "I am shut out from your sight."
Yet you heard my plea,
   when I cried out to you.

Love the Lord, all you faithful.
   The Lord protects the loyal,
   but repays the arrogant in full.
Be strong and take heart,
   all you who hope in the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment